The seven deadly sins of shopping and how to avoid them

Costly errors you don’t want to make

#1 Not knowing what’s in your closet already. AKA serial purchasing

This one’s a biggie. We all have things we love and know that they work for us but we find ourselves unconsciously buying the same thing over and over, year after year. Basics aside, do you really need another _______? A closet audit is in order if you serial purchase too many of the same things. I'll help you determine what stays, what goes and what's needed.

#2 Impulse buying
Many clients have closets chock full of impulse buys and not enough wardrobe basics. I recently posted Ralph Lauren’s Fall 2014 collection on my facebook page. It’s all about beautiful basics, style and quality; they are looks worth wearing. I’m not against the occasional impulse buy but an “impulse wardrobe” will leave you feeling like you have "nothing to wear."

#3 Buying recklessly at sales
Do you walk away with 'bargains' that are too small, too big and/or not flattering? You may think ‘I’m saving 30%’ but remember, you’re still outlaying the other 70%, so it’s not exactly a freebie. Sometimes you CAN pick up incredible pieces at a discount. Sales can be thrilling, just be sure that your purchase is size-wise and style-wise. Many sale items cannot be returned.

#4 Taking the term ‘retail therapy’ literally
It may seem like a quick fix, but shopping to numb any kind of pain is dangerous. Remember Carrie from 'Sex and the City' Spending her rent on shoes after a breakup?  A little retail therapy can take the edge off a bad day, but don’t let your emotions cloud your judgment or you risk committing all the shopping sins already mentioned.

#5 Hitting the shops with friends:
It’s a common pitfall among friends. A great friendship does not necessarily mean a great shopping partnership. Sadly, a gamut of things can get in the way of reliable friend-to-friend fashion advice, from subliminal sabotage to pre-shopping champagne.  Go with someone you unequivocally trust or go alone.

Tip: This is where my professional advice makes the biggest difference!

#6 Not properly caring for what you own
Putting worn clothes back into you closet without cleaning or airing them, is not a good idea! Not properly cleaning or caring for the clothes you love will have an impact on how well they will last.

I can help you figure out what you need for proper care, storage and maintenance of your wardrobe. The right hangers, bins and shoe racks will simplify your closet and minimize damage to your clothes.

Tip: A “closet cleaning” session with me will keep you on the right track.

#7 Immediately ripping off tags and throwing out receipts
Make sure you try your new purchase on at home BEFORE cutting off the shop tag or discarding the receipt. I can’t tell you how many times I've discovered unseen holes, marks, still-affixed security devices or mistakenly have taken home the wrong size. Tags and a receipt are your tickets out of a mess, so don’t be be quick to discard them – trust me.

Tip: have a filing system for receipts; I can help you with that

 


Archive
January February March April (1) May June July August September (1) October November (1) December
January February March (1) April May June (1) July August September (1) October November (1) December
January (1) February (3) March April May (2) June July August September (1) October (1) November December (1)
January (1) February March April (1) May June July August September (1) October November December (1)
January (1) February March April (1) May June (1) July August September (1) October November (1) December
January (1) February March (1) April May (1) June July August September October November December